Following a unanimous vote by the AAA council, Dragonite is now subject to a suspect test ! Thanks to Aerilate, access to Extreme Speed and 134 base atk, Dragonite gains in AAA an extremely strong priority move; moreover a flying type move, one of the best offensive types in the game. This makes Dragonite one of the most reliable forms of speed control in the tier, outspeeding basically everything, while still being able to act as a breaker.
But Dragonite is far from being a one-trick pony, its high stats and diverse movepool offering many possibilities, and making it unpredictable. Whether it's Earthquake, Thunder Punch, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Fire Punch, Low Kick or even rarer options like Ice Spinner, Body Slam or Wrap + Encore, Dragonite can virtually get rid of any check, even the most persistent ones like Corviknight and Dondozo. The options are even more variable as Dragonite can take advantage of Heavy-Duty Boots as well as Life Orb or, occasionally, Leftovers or a Choice Band.
It is especially Dragonite's bulk, coupled with its access to Roost and Dragon Dance, that makes the Pokémon difficult to manage, forcing, for example, Corviknight to use Iron Defense or Bulk Up, and forbidding any passive play (except possibly with Unaware).
In general, Dragonite is particularly problematic for more offensive teams to handle. Having more fragile Pokémon, they tend to lose momentum very easily against Dragonite since the latter outspeeds and threatens to OHKO most offensive Pokémon.
However, despite having access to so many options, Dragonite usually has to have exactly the right set against the right team to win on matchup, which rarely happens. Against more defensive teams, it can even be completely useless, as it offers no long-term utility (Extreme Speed only having 8pp). Dazzling also allows any Pokémon to be immune to Dragonite's Extreme Speed, offering a somewhat reliable option against it.
How (Suspect Details):
During a Suspect test, each player must climb the ladder until they've acquired the GXE necessary to participate in the voting. Primarily, everyone that participates needs to make an alt account following these guidelines:
With that all of that being said, it's suspect time! As usual, the actual voting will take place in the Blind Voting Forum, so posting anything other than proof of reqs and discussion isn't necessary.
- Every game must be played on the official Pokemon Showdown! site and on a new account (creation date no earlier than today, March 22nd) with "DRAAAG [Nick]"--for example, I could create one called "DRAAAG Atha" to ladder with. Having the prefix at the beginning of your alt name is mandatory, AKA not in the middle (e.g. The DRAAAG Man) and not at the end (e.g. The DRAAAG).
- To qualify for voting, your alt must meet the required GXE and games played threshold; it starts at 80% GXE at 25 games, down to 76% GXE at 45+ games.
- Dragonite will be allowed on the ladder during the suspect.
- The suspect test will go for two weeks and end on Wednesday, April 5th at 10:00 AM GMT -4.
- When posting proof of meeting reqs, feel free to use this thread as a means to disseminate topical opinions regarding whether or not Dragonite should be banned (Optional)
- It is mandatory to provide proof of ownership of the alt account as well. (Post a picture of your reqs with your smogon name featured)
Tagging Kris for implementation